Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unixware 7.0.1 Installation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henny1

MIS
Jul 14, 1999
US
I have been trying to install SCO unixware 7.0.1 on numerous machines in the last few days with absolutely no luck. I have previously installed it on other machines with no problems at all. When I try to install it on a Digital 5510 PII 300 it fails to find the CD Rom which is a Toshiba XM-6202B, and is on the SCO certified hardware list. I have also tried to install it on 5 other machines which all give me fatal errors. These machines have all been Dells of various ages a P90, a P100, a P166, and a PII 200. The fatal error is:<br>
<br>
"A failure occurred while trying to set up a hard disk.<br>
<br>
Possible reasons for the failure are:<br>
<br>
-the hard disk or hard disk controller is damaged<br>
-the data cable between the disk and the controller is damaged<br>
-the external bus (if any) is incorrectly terminated"<br>
<br>
I have installed on a totally clean system that has no all extra partitioned removed by fdisk using both a win95 boot floppy and a DOS 6.22 boot floppy to vary the instances. <br>
<br>
Any help would be appreciated.<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>

It could be that the hard disk controller isn't being recognised by the install prog. Make sure your exact controller model is listed in the hardware compatability list. Even if it is, go to the SCO site ( and make sure there aren't any known problems.<br>
<br>
I recall a few years ago there was a problem with installing SCO onto EIDE systems. You had to pass a parameter at the setup floppy boot prompt along the lines of "hd=wd...." or something like that. I think this might be mentioned in the install manual.<br>
<br>
Sorry for not being too specific, but I've not done a SCO install for a while, and I've not got any docs hanging around. :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back