Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unix user management

Status
Not open for further replies.

buraglio

ISP
Jan 3, 2001
US
I'm looking for a quick way to do some multihost user management. I have 8 OpenBSD machines and a FreeBSD machine in various locations and I would like to be able to have all users, passwords, and groups replicated between them. I've used NIS+ in the past (and never want to use it again) and have some some looking at OpenLDAP (looks a but too bloated for what I need). I've tested scp-ing the /etc/group, /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd files using an croned script and ssh keys, but that seems too clunky. Does anyone have a more elegant but relatively thin wat to do this? I've seen it done through a postgresql database and a set of scripts that build the files from the db....I guess thats a possibility, i'd have to learn postgresql though. Any help appreciated. thanks.
NB ----------------------------------------
Nicholas D. Buraglio

LDAP would be fine for central unified logins, but LDAP does not really support single sign-on or as an authentication service. In this case you would want to use Kerberos to provide an SSO environment.

I have also been playing with using openbsd as a KDC, but it just seems that there should be a better way to do it. NIS+ did more or less everything I wanted (aside from it breaking for no reason and have 0 documentation). I'd really rather not use LDAP since some of the machines are very underpowered.
----------------------------------------
Nicholas D. Buraglio

Perhaps plain old NIS instead of NIS+, because it's much simpler and does the job? Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back