Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unix permission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2003
US
Well, this question is rather about unix permission then scripting. I couldn't find an appropriate place to post.
Anyway, I have a question regarding unix permission. I have a file. While the owner of the file issued chmod 777 to the file. Supposedly other users should be able to write and execute the file. However, when other user login to the unix system, the file shows an * in the end and the user was not able to execute or do anything with the file. Only when login as the file owner that the file won't have an * in the end. How can I change the permission so that other user will also be able to write and execute the file? Gurus, please advise. Thank you very much.

Thanks Chris for the quick reply. I have tried this and it is still not working though.

I have found out that when I change the permission for the file to 644, then the * will be gone. If I do 777, then there will be * in the end of file for example:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 appdb31 dba 8236 Sep 29 13:08 NewOverLoadGraph.jpg*

The asterisk isn't part of the file name. It's due to using a '-F' parameter to show executable files. You may have an alias for 'ls' that's adding it for you. But the asterisk is not part of the file name.

Each person that needs to access the file will also need to have at least execute access to the directories in the path to the file too.

OK, the * means that the file while being marked with the execute bit cannot be executed by the login user. There may be several reasons:
- the file was copied from another system and cannot run in this one
- the directory is an NFS or CIFS mount and the user cannot run it, which is pretty much a variation of the condition from the above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back