Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unix Password Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezanine

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2001
US
I have 300 users on AS 2.1. I have been using samba for several years on this box. Of the 300 users only 50 need access to the samba shares. It would be most beneficial to me if I could use the password sync to link the unix and smbpasswd together. My question is if I turn the unix password sync = True will it take the Unix password and overwrite the smbpasswd or vice versa. Ideally I would like the Unix password to replace their smbpasswd password.

From what I understand the `unix password sync` item attempts to change the UNIX password whenever the smb password is changed. (also see `passwd chat` and `passwd program`)

Although, like you, I want the unix password to replace the SMB password. We only have a few users that need access to shares, but I have the same problem with other applications.

So far the plan is to provide a single interface to collect the password change request which in turn calls a perl script that validates the input and attempts to change the unix password via the expect CPAN module. If the change is successful then the script will turn around and update the smbpasswd file (and various other applications/systems) as necessary.

Not ideal, but it's what we're going to have to do to sync several passwords.

perl modules:

-r

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back