Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unix or linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2003
US
Hi, I don't have much knowledge about unix and linux but I want to take certifications exams for one of them first. could anyone give me an idea which one should I do? I mean which would be more easier for the biggners!
thanks
Bud

A perfect example of why certifications don't mean squat! Gee, what if he passes, which is a very real possibility; what good are they (cert)then?

Obviously not, just a Master's in Education with additional hours beyond a Master's.

But still, I have known people who have taken certification exams and passed and they have no experience. A little knowledge will allow you to pass almost any certification exam without any practical experience or advanced knowledge.

If you're going for easy, I can't really help you. But, if you want to get one that would let you work on just about anything, get Sun Solaris certification. While Unix versions are different, they do have enough similarities that someone who knows AIX or HP-UX could operate a Solaris box. Someone who is good at Linux could also operate, at least on a basic level, the other unix versions. Sun seems to be pretty universally known by hiring types. Whereas if you went to apply for a job, and said you had Sair Linux certification, they might not know what that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back