Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unix-linux selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

illBogg

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
SI
Hi,

I'm the vice president of one students club in Slovenia. We have 7 comp in the local lan connection wich run on win2000 data server and win 2k prof.. We also have an comp (286, 2Mb-ram, monocrom), and I vowld like to put on this an unix or linux os (because we want to learn how to use it).
Can someone tell me witch unix or linux can run on that comp., and I can put this in the local lan with win 2k?

The best choice is probably Minix. (the original Unix clone that inspired Linux)

Go to for more information.

Linux and FreeBSD are written for 386 or higher processors. I don't know of any other free Unix-like system for 286 that is currently available.

I recommend that you find a 386 or 486, and try to learn FreeBSD ( because Minix is only used for teaching, and is very different from the modern Unix systems available. If you cannot find a 386 or 486, let me know, and I will try find a way to get you one. (386 and 486 computers can be found for free in the US)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back