Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unix error codes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashGorden

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2001
EU
Hi

I am running a korn shell on a Solaris system and I have had an error 32. What is an error 32 or better yet is there a function that I can use to find what an error code refers to?

Thanks

What's the command that's generating the error?

If it's in a script, use sh -vx script to see what's failing.

do man command & go to the end of the man page to see what the error codes mean (not always very useful :-()

If that's no use, try googling for command code X-)
One by one, the penguins steal my sanity.

try

help 32
Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

grep 32 /usr/include/sys/errno.h OR
grep 32 /usr/include/errno.h
grep 32 /usr/include/sys/signal.h
grep 32 /usr/include/signal.h

Your system may not have the "sys" directory. See which one works. One file is error codes, the other is "signals".

Regards, Bill.

:~/ to be honest, I haven't used this command in ages - last time I used it ("one or two" years ago) I remember it being for sccs and errno error numbers... (and it's not even on my linux box so I couldn't check it) Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back