Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unix dial in to Win 2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loonygirl

Technical User
Jun 9, 2004
GB
The modem on our Unix box has broken.
I have a support engineer trying to dial into our Win2k server and then telnet across into our Unix box. This works fine when the person dialling in from a Windows machine.

However, he has a Unix machine, and is unable to "talk" to the Windows box properly. Quoted from my support engineer...
"your modem is answering the phone and seems to handshake successfully with my modem, but the unix system is still not polling the modem line to detect incoming traffic. Is that port/line enabled?"

I was wondering if part of the problem was that you have to be authenticated to have access to the server? (we're running a Win2k server with Active Directory). From the above, it seems like his computer is actually connected into our network, but he is unable to telnet across. This problem happens on all the modems that I have - my RAS card and both externals.

Normally, if you enter an incorrect username and/or password, the server will just drop the connection...which doesn't seem to be happening here, so I'm slightly confused as to what is happening. Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,

Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back