Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unix administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

adlusum

Technical User
Jun 9, 2005
US
i just installed solaris 9.0. but I can't access the internet with it in my workplace. Also how do I join a unix server to the domain???

Much too vague.

Internet access: you need a default gatway and dns configured.

Domain? What domain? An NT domain? What does "join" mean to you - access shares, publish shares, act as a domain controller? The answer is probably Samba, but who knows what you are asking.

Tony Lawrence
Linux/Unix/Mac OS X Resources

the domain is the 2k domain. I want the new unix server to join the 2k domain.

Unix an Windows are oil and water (don't ask me which is which) and a Unix server cannot 'join' a Windows domain in terms of replicating user databases etc as the two are not compatible.

Having said that there is Samba, a software suite which does provide the glue between Unix and Windows. The details are far too complex for this forum (or even the Samba forum!) but you should start by looking at The Samba home page

Columb Healy

Samba's ability to participate as a domain controller or bdc has varied from time to time. Microsoft is constantly changing, and it's been hard for Samba to keep up, but they have done remarkably well just the same.

I *think* he's saying it's a Win 2000 domain here, which is not much different than an old NT4 domain, see for a description of how Samba can fit in.

Tony Lawrence

Do I need to install Samba if want to access the internet while on the unix machine. I am able to do that right now and I do not know why.

No

Samba is all about mixing Windows and *nix machines and is the solution to 'adding the *nix machine to the domain'.

As long as you have a graphical interface you can use the Internet. My AIX machines have Netscape installed for example.

Accessing the Internet is matter of

1) Ensuring you have a graphical interface
2) Ensuring you have a suitable browser
3) Ensuring that the networking is set up correctly.

If you want help with these you might want to go to the Solaris forum

Columb Healy

Funny how some folks think the Internet is a Windows thing :)

Not sure if that was the case here, but just in case: We in the Unix world were accessing and using the Internet long before Bill Gates understood squat about it. Microsoft avoided the internet, avoided tcp/ip and came into it all very, very late - one of the biggest judgement mistakes they ever made.

Tony Lawrence

Actually, accessing the Internet just requires...

3) Ensuring that the networking is set up correctly.

Accessing the World Wide Web requires...

1) Ensuring you have a graphical interface
2) Ensuring you have a suitable browser

[bigsmile]

Doen't necessarily require a graphical interface or browser.

Lynx and lots of other text browsers work very well with a lot of web sites. Also, you can read or pull down web pages with nothing more than a telnet to port 80 - though most of us would rather use curl or wget or a Perl script..

Tony Lawrence

The question is: How do you connect to the internet?
Dial-up via modem (intern/ extern)?

By eth via a gateway?
Then use ifconfig par example:
Code:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.44.17
route add default gw 192.168.44.1
and get the dns-server for your account, and modify /etc/resolv.conf accordingly.

Use lynx or elinks from the commandline to see that no window is needed, and firefox from X11.

For webbrowsing, perhaps a local proxy is sufficient.

This advices might help on linux but not on your unix-system.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Are you using Static or Dynamic IP Addresses that is one question you need to ask. If you are using DHCP on your network you will have to setup Solaris to request an IP. If they assigned you a static then you will have to add an entry to /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname.xxx, /etc/defaultrouter, /etc/resolv.conf, and change a setting in /etc/nsswitch.conf. You will also have to check if your site uses a proxy server for web access.

As someone previously stated you cannot join a Windows Domain without third party software. Samba is a free alternative that should probably suit your needs if all you want is to access shares, however, if you want to perform user authentication to a PDC then you might need to setup Kerberos or something to communicate with AD.

to coffeysm,

I am using static IP. I can ping the server by either IP or name, so I know the dns is working. we are using a proxy address to access the internet on our windows machine, but I am not sure where to input the proxy address in the unix box. I think that is the problem.

You will have to add the entry "dns" to your /etc/nsswitch.conf file. It probably reads hosts: files [NOTFOUND=return] or similar. Change it to read hosts: files dns [NOTFOUND=return]. That file tells Solaris how to resolve names, it will not use DNS by default. You most likely add the proxy address in your web browser under settings.

Take a look at this thread

thread60-1020842

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back