Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unity Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerrellG

MIS
May 15, 2008
US
My Unity Server seems to shutdown for some unknown reason. It's extremely sporadic exept it seems to happen at the same hour. It's happend 3 times at 5:30 AM on a Monday morning. The first time was about 6 weeks ago then it happend again 2 weeks later then again today. I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this and what did you find? Also, is there a log or trace that I can turn on to track what is happening? I would like to find out what is causing this to shutdown unexpectedly.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Have you checked the event manager? Look around the time that the server went down.

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Check your event logs as Dallas said. They will tell you what caused the shutdown. Without that we are just speculating.
Is the whole server shutting down and you have to manually reboot? Or just Unity services?

I checked the event log but there was nothing there. Just told me that the server shut down unexpectedly and what time. What's even more weird is that there were no errors prior to the shutdown. According to the event log everything was running smoothly. The server is in our NY office and I'm in DC. So I was able to power the server back up via the ILO. The server doesn't restart. It shuts completely down. Once powered back up it runs smoothly. Fortunately it hasn't happened during business hours.

possible the Unity Scheduled Restart is setup?

Hope this helps.

Please remember to rate helpful posts........

I checked under Scheduled Task. "Unity Scheduled Restart" is set to Never. I'm leaning towards a bad power supply or loose cable. I'm actually sending someone up to NY to check it out. To make sure I have two green lights on both power supplies. The redundent power should make sure that the power never goes down. Someone told me that I might want to check into the software because replacing the server would be more expensive. I was hoping someone has encountered something similar to this and could point me in a direction I haven't looked in.

Actually if you have the server on Smartnet with Cisco, they should be able to send you out a new power supply... and if you don't, then just look at trying to replace the bad PS... be a LOT easier, due to the fact you can not put Unity OR the CallManagers on just any server...

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back