Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uniquely identifying a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIG357

Programmer
Jun 29, 2000
US
I'm trying to come up with the best way to uniquely identify any given PC (for licensing purposes). My first inclination was to get the Windows Product key out of the registry, but, knowing that pirating windows isn't all that uncommon, I was hoping for a better solution. I'm sure it's going to have to be something out of the registry, but I'm just not sure what. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Joe

(for licensing purposes)...............I purchased Trakit software by ocean blue.
It will identify all software and hardware. It will also attach an ID number to that machine. If there are any software/hardware changes made at any time it will tell you what it is for that machine.

If you only want to ID the machine itself, it suppose to have its own ID number under Device manager ex: win95 if that your OS has an OEM number that should be differnt for each machine. If youve purchased the licenses but put the same OEM number on each machine, thats ok but now you have to ID each machine....which you can simply do by naming the volume of the HD whatever you want.

Programmatically, you can obtain a GUID (a unique identifier) using the API. For machines with an Internet connection you might be able to extract a phone number from the registry (do a search, you will probably find your number referenced several times). You could even obtain a fairly reliable identifier with something as primitive as a batch file that extracts a drive serial number from a redirected DIR command (way out there, but you should understand that your options are wide open).

There are many ways to do this. Let your imagination be your guide.
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back