Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unique way to make a simple network with drive mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

questorfla

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2012
US
This is a sort of challenge to see if there is anything that I am missing. There are many of you out there smarter than i am so I wanted to see what kinds of options someone else might come up with.

Here is the setup:

1: A computer running windows 7 Professional OS I want to be the "server". This system would be running on a T1 connection with a static IP

2: The object is to be able to share specific folders on it with specific people. These people need to have a login and password to access the folders. They should not be able to get to any folder other than the one they have been given permission to. No one without a name/password should even be able to connect at all. Normal Windows RRAS security.

3: Access must be from anywhere there is an internet connection. Wifi Hotspot, DSL, Cable, whatever.

4: I want a solution using the minimum possible complexity, hardware or software, at both ends. Nothing that is not included in the Windows OS.

5. The Users will be using nothing higher than a Windows Home Premium OS.

6: I do not want to route through any third party servers, it needs to be a direct connection from the user to the server.

7: Finally. The Users need to be able to treat the connection exactly as though it was a local network resource. Be able to map the link to a drive letter and use it that way and the speed needs to be limited only by the speed of the network connection at both ends. No high overhead. Drag and drop files from desktop to drive letter. That simple. Oh…and it has to be FREE! (of course!)

As stated above, It should work this way anywhere there is internet access as long as there is no Active Blocking is done to Specifically prevent this. Just Plain Vanilla networks like the hotspot's in a mall or a regular home wifi.

I just wanted to see if there were any creative minds out there who might see an easy way to do this without setting up a bunch of software or hardware. Something that would work every time, connecting as soon as the users got on the Internet.

Those are the only requirements. Any way to make the connection would be considered. But the simpler the better and NO hardware other than what is inside the plain vanilla Windows 7 Pro box and the plain vanilla Windows home Premium laptops using the connections as described

Looking forward to hearing some creative solutions!
And thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If I get enough replies, I will tell you how I did it. So I know it CAN be done. But I am looking for alternatives.

[bigsmile]

I would use the built in FTP server within Win7.

hi
i have the same would like to know how you did it
thx
majed

First how many users? A T-1 wouldn't be the best choice as it is slow, can you get cable or fiber? That being said a VPN network would be best as this would allow external clients to connect as if they were there. Each one should also have a drive mapped to their folder which would only work when VPN is active, just don't allow offline files. As for setting up a VPN Cisco Small Business routers would be your best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back