Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unique identifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

caman74

IS-IT--Management
Jan 1, 2005
NO
Hello.

I need help to set up a function or something similar, that would work as a "unique identifier" for a field.
The "unique identifier" shall only let me know of a unique value if there are more than 3 caracters in the field.

Christian

If you want only to know if there are more than 3 characters, and not which character and not how many, I would go the boolean way.

Make an unstored calculation, something along these lines

Lenght(yourField)>3

This will give you a '0' for less or equal 3 characters and a '1' for more than 3 characters.

To find the records with more than 3 characters, make a search for '1' on this field.

HTH

Christian,

I don't understand your question. Can you clarify?

Are you just looking for an indicator to appear when a certain field contains more than 3 characters? If this is it then try creating a field called "Indicator". Make it a calculated field with a calculation something like this:

If ( Length ( yourField ) > 3; "Three +"; "" )

Sorry if this is a swing-and-a-miss but I really don't understand the question.

-Striker

What I am looking for is almost the same as the built in "Unique value" function that is under the "Validation" tab.
But if I choose that function, it will validate all of my input in my field.

I.E. I got a field called "Dep_number" wich I can input numbers up to eight characters.
I usually input two or eight chatacer numbers in this field.

I don't want it to validate my two character inputs as unique, but I want in to validate every input with 3 or more characters in it.

Does this make any sence???

Christian

Make sence...

I would go for the boolean approach, it will evaluate 3 or more.

HTH

....but change the formula in:

Lenght(yourField)=>3

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back