Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unique feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrochris

Technical User
Jan 13, 2004
US
I had a good question asked of me, or requested, and i need some more info.

Is there any software/hardware in the Avaya world that, when activated, can dial a group of people off-site-like in the case of some emergency or disaster.

This would identical to a school system that dials all the parents in the town to notify them that school will be closed due to inclement weather, or to announce some other bit of news. Someone told me the new Map-D cards were capable in some way of doing this. Any ideas? Thanks.

Community Alert Network (CAN) does this in the public sector...

Would you really want to tie up all your facilities to out-call to people?

With CAN it actually authenticates and tracks the calls, responses, etc...

Thanks,
CJH

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me more about CAN? Is it a product that does not belong to Avaya?

I think the general idea would be if basically nobody is in the office due to an emergency/disaster. Although, if one of the disasters is the switch, we couldn't do anything anyway (besides our normal DR plan). So, the trunk capacity probably wouldn't be an issue. THanks again.

We use a product called School Messenger. Our needs were not large, this product fit well for us.

Avaya Interactive Response (formerly CONVERSANT) can perfor this function. There are also less expensive IVR systems that integrate well with your Avaya PBX and are less expensive

Andy Backs

Andy Backs
Voice and Data Networks

how about the auto-dialer? :)

At5000auto.jpg

CAN is used in a true disaster situation. It is generally hosted off-site and can be initiated by a variety of different ways. The important piece is that it is not dependant on your local PBX.

Here's a website:

We used them for FEMA, Government & Nuclear applications. Worked very well. (except for Katrina of course....)

Thanks,
CJH

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

Thanks folks. Do you have any general pricing for the school messenger or CAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back