Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unique(?) configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipperc

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2002
US
I have found tek-tips helpful with other technologies so let's try this.

I am a complete newb to Linux so anyone who can help please speak slowly.
My NT4/Exchange5.5 server died & the powers that be chose Redhat 9.0 to replace it. It's only function was as the MX record holder, it passed all email directly to a Domino 5 server which does everything else.
Lets see if this helps:

{Internet}
|
|
{router/firewall}mail.mycompanydomainname.com
|
|
{DMZ}Exchange --> {LAN}Dominoserver
|
|
Users

So, What I need is detailed idiotproof(I know, I know) instructions to use sendmail to replace the Exchange server in the above diagram. I've tried all the forums but I still can't get it working.
Did I mention I'm desperate & ready to pay? Well, I am ;-)

Any particular reason you want to use sendmail, or is that just the first linux based MTA that popped to mind when you thought about it?

If you're not tied to sendmail, you might want to take a look at which is a postfix based mail gateway that also provides anti-spam/anti-virus protection. If you don't want/need the anti-spam stuff, you should also be able to easily grasp how to set up a simple relay from the same document.

Contrary to the title of that page, you don't need to do that on a *BSD box (I have a similar setup running on RH7.3)

If you are new to Linux, sendmail is not the place to start. It is one of the most complicated MTAs out there (maybe the most complicated ??). I agree with jkupski, postfix is much simpler and maybe a better way for you to go. If you are hell bent on sendmail then the RedHat distro is one of the best ways to get sendmail up and running.

Cogito Ergo Sum - Non Compos Mentis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back