Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UniPrint 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Feb 18, 2003
US
Does anyone here have any experience, good or bad, with Uniprint and home users?

I wouldn't spend the money if you are using MetaFrame XP Feature Release 2. I have quite a few clients that have pulled Uniprint and Screwdrivers out after FR2 came out. FR2 handles client printers very well.

As far as Uniprint goes, I can't honestly give you a review, I haven't personally used it.

SeanFlynn

We are MF1.8 SP3 and have no plans to change due to some specialized apps we run that aren't supported on XP...

We tested UNIPrint and it all worked fine 'til we checked the size of the print jobs being generated... A quote from the findings...

"While UniPrint has been observed to reduce WAN traffic when printing it generates a print job observed at 19 times the size of the original."

(This was tested last Autumn with XP 1.0 FR1)

Yikes, how do they claim to reduce WAN traffic when the job is significantly larger?

Wouldn't home users, connected via dialup, see a huge hiccup?

In the tests we did we had a 70+Kb word document (full of graphics) which generated a spooled print job of 1096Kb from the Citrix box back to the client.

When we used UNIPrint it delivered a compressed PDF file back to the client of around 60Kb, massive reduction in WAN traffic but the client then took over a minute to render this and spooled a 19Mb file..

Reduced bandwidth use but didn't really reduce the time to print. Like your other contributor we then got a hold of FR2 and life became simple!

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back