Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uniprint Output Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

techMom

Programmer
Jul 6, 2001
US
Hi,
Has anyone else had output problems using Uniprint on Citrix? We installed Uniprint on a Citrix server for one of our clients and the output to the printers (and also to Adobe if the Adobe preview preference is selected) has been very abnormal for many of our test users.

One problem that is consistent - when printing a report in Access (connected to a SQL database and utilizing and activeX report control called Total Access Memo) - the Uniprint version of the output consistently places a space after the 66th character in the line. The text does NOT have a space where uniprint is putting it.

Another consistent output problem with Uniprint has been a blob where the check in a checkbox should be. The output to the printer without Uniprint has the check.

Finally, some of the documents output to Uniprint will drop specific characters - for instance one document dropped all capital D's, another all lower case e's etc. If we repeat the printing process, the characters show up again. In another instance, no characters were printed, only boxes - like what happens when you have a line feed in a text file.

I work for an outsourcing company, and the client we are dealing with has around 40 users, all with various model printers. We really wanting Uniprint to work for this client, as the headaches of all of the drivers and incompatible drivers on the server have been significant. We have contacted Uniprint with samples of the abnormal output, but was wondering if anyone on this forum has had similar experiences.

Thanks!
Karen Dembroski

There is also a product called Thinprint that we are working on implementing. It doesn't use Adobe which gives them more flexibility as to change the code if they need. We had a paper try issue with UniPrint, found out it was related to Adobe and UniPrint isn't allowed to change Adobes code (no shock there). Just a suggestion.
If anyone else has had issue with ThinPrint, I would appreciate their input as we're close to go live and I want to be prepared for any problems... Mike Brown CCA

We found uniprint more reliable than screwdriver or thinprint.

Maybe some of your problems can be solved
Remember acrobat usually makes up a page without including known fonts. Then what happens when the fonts on the client side are slightly different is that you might end up with kerning problems and the like.

Have you tried checking the font embedding option in the advanced tab of the document defaults of the unprint printer on the server ?
(Printing Preferences in Win2000)

At least one of the virtues of having pdf's made on the client computer is that you can swap these files around to check them out with different Acrobat readers on different platforms.
You can copy one of those misprints back to the server it came from to check that one out with the reader on the server. I would toss i around a little bit to see whether the print document is actually corrupt, just missing fonts or that the local acrobat reader is screwing up..

Good luck
Loek Gijben

We tried font embedding, and either option produced the same results. An in the instance of the characters dropping, it would be a different character each time. For instance, if upper case E was missing on one printing, the next printing of the very same doc would contain uppercase E, but then not lowercase S (for instance). The 66th character thing was 100% consistent - just in one report template though. The checkmark blob thing was consistent in any application.

We tossed it around for about a week. We were able to isolate all of these strange problems to the Uniprint driver. When we printed the doc directly to the Acrobat PDFWriter on the server, none of the problems happened. When we printed the same docs to the Uniprint driver, the problems occurred as I described above. We opened the output files on various computers, and all of them displayed the errors I have described.

So far Screwdriver seems to be working, with the exception address labels. It would be nice to know what caused these strange Uniprint behaviors in the event we ever have to go there again though...

Hi techMom,

Is it only the Access reports that go wild?
So Access does not use the Uniprint driver very well..
You did not mention any differences with different fonts, but I suppose you stick with Arial/TimesNR? MS-Access does the page lay-out itself according to the printerdriver. Maybe uniprint fools Access into thinking it is somethging else..

Have you tried the print preview in the Access report designer? Does it also show the same errors?
(Did you bind the report explicitly to the uniprint driver?)

Maybe you can ask these questions also in the MS-Access forums.

Cheers!
Loek Gijben

We did encounter similar problems with the change of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back