Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unions or Joins with 3 tables? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiplusiii

Programmer
May 30, 2002
US
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need to have this in our next release by Monday. Thanks, Lisa

I am trying to accomplish a tricky merging of data. I have 4 tables - One master (TREQ), and 3 subtables (MOPCD, MOPCK, MOPBL). I currently have working a union statement that allows me to combine the information I need between the master and the first 2 subtables. I now need to ADD the third subtable to the query and am not sure how to proceed.
%-)
It appears to me that I cannot use another union so how can I get the results to include all rows from the master table that match my WHERE clause and link the correct M.ID from one of the three subtables depending on the MOPCD.
If T.MOPCD = 'BL' pull M.ID from MOPBL,
If T.MOPCD = 'CK' pull M.ID from MOPCK
otherwise pull M.ID from MOPCD

Here is my working query for reference:

SELECT T.ID, T.AMT, T.MOPCD, M.CDACCT

FROM TREQ T, MOPCD M

WHERE T.MOPID=M.ID AND ((T.ACT='DP' AND T.STAT='OKAY') OR (T.ACT IN ('RD','CD','PD') AND T.STAT='WAITING')) AND T.MOPCD != 'CK'

UNION

SELECT T.ID, T.AMT, T.MOPCD, M.CKACCT

FROM TREQ T, MOPCK M

WHERE T.MOPID=M.ID AND ((T.ACT='DP' AND T.STAT='OKAY') OR (T.ACT IN ('RD','CD','PD') AND T.STAT='WAITING')) AND T.MOPCD = 'CK'

Thanks for the fast response.

If I add another UNION (I tried before writing to the list), none of the entries in the final merging includes entries from the MOPBL (because they are not in the MOPCK or MOPCD table?). I may have misinterpreted some online documentation because I understood UNION to only work with two selects. If not, can you suggest how to add the final table to my query?

Try this. I changed the JOINs to ANSI standard syntax. This syntax is not more efficient nor does it return different results. However, Microsoft has said that the old style JOIN syntax may not be supported in future versions. Some would say it is not supported in SQL 2000 because that style returns incorrect results for some outer joins.

SELECT T.ID, T.AMT, T.MOPCD, M.CDACCT
FROM TREQ T
JOIN MOPCD M
ON T.MOPID=M.ID

WHERE ((T.ACT='DP' AND T.STAT='OKAY')
OR (T.ACT IN ('RD','CD','PD') AND T.STAT='WAITING'))
AND T.MOPCD != 'CK'

UNION ALL

FROM TREQ T
JOIN MOPCK M
ON T.MOPID=M.ID

AND T.MOPCD = 'CK'

UNION ALL

FROM TREQ T
JOIN MOPBL M
ON T.MOPID=M.ID

AND T.MOPCD = 'CK'

Note: I also added ALL to the UNION stastement. This inhibits sorting and duplicate elimination that occurs by default in SQL. This will make the query faster! Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

Terry - You're a genious! [thumbsup2]

For the record, I changed two things in your query to get the results I was looking for:

1> On the first SELECT statement, I changed
AND T.MOPCD != 'CK'
to
AND T.MOPCD != 'CK' AND T.MOPCD != 'BL'

2> On the last SELECT statement, I changed
AND T.MOPCD = 'CK'
to
AND T.MOPCD = 'BL'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor