Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Union All and Relationship issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDRoss

MIS
Sep 27, 2002
IE
Based on ideas from thread705-760513 I developed a Union All sql query to extract data from four tables all with a common yearid field. I was able to know which table the data came from thanks to an idea from TonyJollans (Programmer) in the above thread to add a marker to each table. It works well.

From this marker I was able to use a group crosstab query to get summary totals for each table in the same query.

A third query (qrytotals) based on the results from the crosstab query gave me the totals for each year for each customer.

Finally, I need to link this query back into the customer table for a form and report. And this is my question. I want the query to return all records from the customers table in a LEFT JOIN on Customers.CustomerID and only those records from the qrytotals where they are equal.

Code:
SELECT qrytotals.Year, qrytotals.GC, qrytotals.MC, qrytotals.PC, qrytotals.SP, qrytotals.AllTotals, Customers.FullAddress, Customers.AllName, Customers.CustomersID, Customers.Area, Customers.DISTRICT
FROM Customers LEFT JOIN qrytotals ON Customers.CustomersID = qrytotals.CustomersID;

The Select above isn't preforming the left join and I get only records where they are both equal. I am at a loss to know why this is happening.

Regards

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back