Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstallings windows 98, installing ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

binderjeep

Technical User
Dec 27, 2000
CA
I want to uninstall windows 98 to windows Me but i don't know how to uninstall 98 so i can do this. I can not fin windows 98 in add/remove programs and if it is possible can i save my windows 98 software on my hardrive and keep it on the system for windows Me

I DON"T HAVE THE UPGRADE VERSION so i need to completely uninstall windows 98 before i install windows me probobly through dos

can someone please help

you have a few options..

1. you can download fdisk if its not already on your computer.
-step 1: put a blank floppy in. go to start->settings>control panel go to add/remove programs and create setup disk.
-step 2:add fdisk to the floppy disk via copy paste.
-step 3:insert windows ME disk and floppy disk and boot from the floppy
-step 4:run fdisk.exe select yes to the large hard drive option, select delete primary dos partition, and delete it.
-step 5:reboot, boot from floppy again, run fdisk again yes to hard disk support, and select create primary partition, then reboot, boot from floppy and type format c:

this will completely wipe win98 from your hard drive.

now all you have to do is boot from the floppy, switch to your cd rom (probably d: or e:) and run setup.exe

option 2: you can buy another hard drive, and leave your current hard drive out as an emergency backup, or leave it in to be accessible.

if you choose the first option you will lose all information on your hard drive right now, the second option can become complicated in the setup process if you miss one little thing.

hope this helps some..
-Nick

Fdisk will completely wipe your hard drive.
binderjeep wants to keep his original files and such.

Fix: rename win.com to win.bak (it's in the c:\windows folder)
Install ME right over top, by going to Start > Run > d:\setup (where d: is your CD-ROM drive letter)
This is the only way you can retain all your current programs and settings. It's not recommended though.
A clean install using nlm9802's suggestions above would be the preferred way of doing it. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back