Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinh

Technical User
Aug 9, 2002
US
I am new to the mac experience. I have a powermac with os9.2 installed. I have a lot of old software that I want to get rid of. Does mac have a add/remove option like windows does. How can I remove old software I dont want on my os anymore?

Mac does not have the Windows Registry which is why you need the Add/Remove Software control panel in Windows. You can simply drag the application folder to the trash. A few applications also install 'Extensions' found in your System folder. If you are certain that an Extension is no longer required, you could move it to the 'Extensions (disabled)' folder. You may also use the Extension Manager control panel to do this. It is better to disable an extension than throw it out completely - - just in case you need to restore it.

ooo i see.
so what if I have an application icon in apple menu items. If I move that alias to the trash does it get rid of the whole program or just that icon?

-just the icon. Alias's are just like shortcuts in Windows. Dumping the alias does not get rid of it's target program.

gotcha thanks for your help =)
much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back