Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstalling /Reinstalling Win. XP-Home Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataraj48

Technical User
Mar 29, 2002
US
I upgraded Widows 98SE to Windows XP Home-Edition on one of my PCs. I have no free space on the "D" drive which has "Windows", "Program Files" and "Document Settings". The free space is less than 200 MB. I am not sure how the three got on the "D" drive. I have tried to move them to "C" but had no success.
Is it possible to uninstall all the updates (Windows and Windows XP ) from Add/Remove programs list to start reinstalling the OS using the cds ( Win. 98SE and Win XP-Home Edition) or is the Safe Mode helpful?

yes

you will need to boot to Win 98 if at all possible. Delete the XP I386 File, and change the boot .ini file. If not no, and you will be forced to start over again.

One thing you can do if you choose so is start over, and this time do not make a partition. Start with Win 98 and only give it like 3 GB of space. Then install XP on the same drive, and give it a specific amount of space. They will dual boot

Two Q's, 1 - are you just attempting to get more SPACE on the D partition, and 2 - are you DUAL booting both W98SE and XP Home and want them on the C & D partition instead, or do you just want XP HOME?

1 - take a look at CCleaner, it will clean out unused stuff quite nicely...

CCleaner

2 - Dual Booting, install 98 first onto C partition, basically what drummelhart stated and give it enough Space, e.g. repartition C drive or if you have two drives then use C for 98 and D for XP Home... then install XP Home onto the D partition, and XP will create the correct Boot loader...

if you just want XP Home, then install it alone onto the C partition...

PS: remember to back up all DATA first before you do any partitioning or installing, should something go wrong, you wont loose it...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

How many operating systems have you got now installed on this machine?

How large are your partitions or drives, and what is installed on them?

If you have a 98 CD, then that is a qualifying product for XP Home, allowing you to clean install XP rather than going through any install of 98 followed by an upgrade to XP routine. XP will just ask to see the 98 CD during setup.

Relocating Hard Drive Capacity and File Compression
thread779-939540

Hard Disk still full after deleting large files
thread779-1136701

How to Move Shell Folders (and contents)

I have Win 98 and Win XP Home Edition. XP upgraded Win 98 to the XP version. There is no way to uninstall Win 98 or XP individually. The only things I see on the Add/Remove list are updates to Windows and Security updates.
Is there any way of renaming the drives/partitions from C>D and D>C? The problem prevents me from using the PC in a normal way as I have to keep using Disc Cleanup frequently.

I do not think you fully understand, and it is not your fault. You are at this time dual booting on on drive which I believe is the D Drive, and how that happened is a Win 98 thing.

You will need to literally remove the correct i386 Folder which carries the correct Version of what Operating System you want deleted, and after that, you will need to go into the boot.ini file and delete the needed OS. Make sure to do this correctly, or you will be starting over again.

No matter, I suggest you start over again, though I know you do not want to. Chopping a hard drive up is OK, however, installing all OS's within the correct procedure can and will pay off for you in the long run.

It is not recommended that you change the drive letters in your situation. The registry in 98 will be full of entries and links pointing to C: drive, while the registry in XP will have its' registry pointing to D: drive.

How can I change the System partition drive letter in Windows XP?

XP has never needed to be on a C: drive to function correctly, it will happily function on a D: drive.

Is your XP Home using the FAT32 file system? If it is this could be the cause of the constant running of the Disk Scanning program, ScanDisk, (if that is what you meant by Disk Cleanup?).

Converting XP to NTFS would mean that 98 would be unable to access files on the XP Partition.

"Convert" is only applicable to XP, 98 must remain FAT32.

307881 - HOW TO: Convert a FAT16 or FAT32 Volume to NTFS in Windows XP

In XP, check to see you are showing both Hidden, and System, files in Folder Options/ View. In the same area make sure you have unchecked "Hide extensions for known file types". These actions will allow you to see and access the relevant booting files.

The booting files consist of Boot.ini, NtLdr, NtDetect.com, and Bootsect.dos (98 dual boot file). These files are required for successful dual booting.

If you want to remove 98, and not have it appear on the Boot menu you must edit the boot.ini file (this file may be a Read-only file).

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP (Q289022)

An example Boot.ini involving 98 and XP is this.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition"

The last line is what puts 98 on the boot menu. The partition(2) parameter tells the booting process that XP is on the second partition. That may vary depending on where XP is located. To get rid of 98 delete the line C:\ = "Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition".

You can now just delete the 98 Windows, Programs, etc. etc. files (but not the earlier mentioned booting files from C: drive, if you don't have 98 you don't need the bootsect.dos file either.

This would leave you with and empty C: drive save for 3 booting files and possibly later a recycle bins and system restore folders, and an XP operating system on D: drive. At this point you can run the "Convert" command on C: and end up with that as a NTFS drive.

You will need to keep your 98 CD in case if every you needed to reinstall XP, as that is the Qualifying Product that I mentioned earlier up this thread.

also if you choose to start over, install Win 98 first, and give it some space as I stated last time, and allow XP to have the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back