Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

uninstalling\reinstalling SQL Server 2005 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiltingCode

Programmer
Apr 10, 2009
US
Over a year ago I installed SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition on my laptop with Windows 7. For some reason SQL Express also go installed which is part of the issues I'm having. Whenever I try to do anything sometimes it expects SQL and other times SQL Express.

Because I'm so smart I stopped SQL Express in the SQL Server Configuration Manager and then I was informed not to do that so I tried to start it again and it fails every time. I get a "request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable error logs for details." message.

I backed up my database (I think) to a ldf and mdf file.

So.... here are my questions\concerns: Do I have to uninstall SQL2005 and reinstall? If so will these files completey restore my database and everything else? Or is there a way to get SQLEXPRESS started again?

First, you probably aren't going to get many responses because you 'tagged' this thread as an 'idea' (the light bulb) not a question.

You can't backup a database to a .mdf/.ldf. Those are the data and log files. If the database was detached, then you could make a backup of those files and they would be usable. If the database was in use, any backup of those files will be unusable.

I've never been in the situation you are in, so I'm not sure what the solution is.

However, can you open SQL Server Developer Edition? If you can open up SSMS, I would see if the database exists there. If not, try to attach the existing .mdf/.ldf files. If that works - great. Make a backup of the database and then just uninstall the SQL Express version.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Thanks SQLBill,
I didn't realize it didn't come out as an idea and not a question. I will do as you suggested. It won't be this weekend but I'm looking forward to trying it.

Have you checked the windows event log. It should let you know why the service didnt start.

May be due to permissions. If so try changing to local service.

Dan

----------------------------------------

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Bernard Baruch

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra
----------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back