Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

uninstalling redhat

Status
Not open for further replies.

joat25

Vendor
Jan 26, 2001
US
trying to uninstall red hat(6.2). even after i delete all the partitions in disk druid and reboot, fdisk still sees the linux partition (that i obviously can't delete). has anyone run into this? and yes, i saved the changes to the drive partition table in disk druid.
all help is greatly appreciated.
joat

start a redhat install, but choose fdisk instead of disk druid. select the disk, then at the prompt press d (for delete) and choose the partition number (1-4). repeat as neccessary to clear the drive. press p (for print) to verify all your partitions are gone. then press w (for write) and once fdisk quits reboot.

hope this helps!

I think I had the same problem you are experiencing, I removed the Linux partition with fdisk but found that I still got the LI part of LILO when I rebooted.
All you need to do is use fdisk /mbr and that will rewrite the master boot record.

thanks for your help.
i finally got it deleted. had to use expert mode and delete the partitions from the prompt, then remove LILO from the MBR.
kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back