Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

uninstalling programs cleanly

Status
Not open for further replies.

rana

Technical User
Jul 5, 2000
US
Hi,

I am new to macs and I was wondering if there is a recommended procedure for uninstalling programs. As far as I can tell, the only thing I can do is drag the folder into the garbage which doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Thanks!

First the good news, in Classic MacOS the vast majority of applcations only put files in two places: 1) the folder the app runs in and 2) The Preferences folder in the system Folder (preferences for apps that are deleted do tend to clutter it up)

I have not used OSX but I think that the situation is similar there. Very few Apps have an uninstall routine because very few need one.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Yeah I'd like to know more about that too. Having just switched from PC (boo!) to a zippy-flash, it-don't-crash iMac, I am forever thinking I need to use an UnInstaller to eliminate a program...and if I don't, that I'm leaving behind a bunch of tendrils and tentacles from the banished program.

Does just plunking it into the trash do the trick - then when I restart OSX does it clean itself of unnecessary files and things?

Yes you can just trash the application; that will not cause any problems; that is to say; I never had any problems in 5 years 'Macapp trashing'...
But that way you usually do not get rid of all the things installed.

First try running the installer again and see if there is an uninstall option.

There is none? Then you can search (command ((apple)) f) for say Internet Explorer and delete all files you find directly from the found list. That will clean up pretty good!!

The best way however is to look at the install log for the programme concerned; the logfile will state clearly what went where during installation so you can be sure you delete everything that is installed when deleting all mentioned files.

This is what a (part of a ) logfile looks like: mind you, some programmes erase logfiles when cleaning up your disk if so asked to do.....

-------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, May 22, 2003 3:53 PM Beginning installation.
ABFRX
Type of Install: Easy Install
Creating the installation folder: Macintosh HD:Users:josthomassen:Library:Contextual Menu Items:ABetterFinderRenameCM.plugin:
Created the Folder: Macintosh HD:Users:josthomassen:Library:Contextual Menu Items:ABetterFinderRenameCM.plugin:Contents:
Installed ABetterFinderRenameCM.plugin:Contents:Info.plist
Created the Folder: Macintosh HD:Users:josthomassen:Library:Contextual Menu Items:ABetterFinderRenameCM.plugin:Contents:MacOS:
Installed ABetterFinderRenameCM.plugin:Contents:MacOS:SampleCMPlugin
Created the Folder: Macintosh HD:Users:josthomassen:Library:Contextual Menu.... and so on
----------------------------------------------------

Good luck!

Jos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back