Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstalled Entire Documents Folder - Desperately need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCsengeri

Technical User
Jan 14, 2011
US
Let me give you some background on this issue.

I started off trying to install a PC game on my computer, and it was recommended that I install it in a location outside of C:/Program Files, as Vista was having administrative access errors and would prevent the game from patching automatically. So, I chose to install it in Documents, as I have a few other games installed in Documents for various reasons. Well, in typing the file path, I typed the following:

C:\Users\the buddy's games\Documents

I forgot to also add the game name's folder to the end to give all the files that would be installed their own folder. Therefore, I checked my Documents folder when I started to try to patch the game, and all the game's files were just sitting individually in Documents and not their own folder. So, rather than gather up all the files and make a folder for them manually, I figured, forget it, I'll just uninstall it and reinstall it one more time, it's a quick install, this time adding on a folder for the files inside Documents. (i.e., C:\Users\the buddy's games\Documents\Europa Universalis III).

So I began to uninstall, all worked fine, reinstalled, no problem, although I noticed when I tried to install it in Documents there were no other subfolders...peculiar. It installed fine, and as I began to patch the game again, I went to Documents, and to my horrifying discovery, Documents was empty except for the game folder I had made.

I realized what happened instantly. When I chose to "uninstall" the game again, it chose to uninstall all contents from the folder they were stored in...meaning uninstalling every file from "Documents," including a few other games, irreplaceable pictures and school papers.

If you've stuck with me this far, thank you. My question can be summed up in asking, what can I do to recover every file in Documents that got uninstalled? My recycle bin is empty, but I've done nothing else since this discovery other than type this message. I haven't shut off the computer, installed anything else, which I understand is crucial in data recovery. What reliable, free software is there that can recover the data for me? Will I have to dig through the inner reaches of my computer files? Please respond ASAP and help me, I have lost a lot of irreplaceable data and not through simply "deleting" and "emptying the recycle bin."

Thank you so much in advance and have a great day.

I don't have any recommendations for free software to help you, but try the trial version of GetDataBack
I would suggest that you do nothing further with the Vista installation, other than close the machine down and remove the hard disk drive. Install GetDatBack on another machine, attach your Vista hard disk as a secondary drive, then use GetDataBack to interrogate it. The free trial version will tell you if it can 'see' your documents or not. Then you can make the decision to buy it. GetDataBack makes no changes to the target drive, so if nothing is found, you can look at other tools or services for possible recovery.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

There are a few free programs you can try, and frankly may work well enough in your scnerio - depends upon how they were removed, I guess.

Recuva

Restoration

Try one/both of those, assuming you're still needing to, as I see this one is already 11 days old. I didn't think to check this forum earlier.

Another method might be to download the UltimateBootCD, follow the instructions there to burn to CD, boot from it, and run a restoration app from there..

Other options out there as well, free and paid software, etc.

If you're data is important, hopefully you've done something other than going about your business, continually using the same hard drive.... as G0AOZ mentioned... in your case, it'd of been best to remove the hard drive, and attach as a slave/spare on another system until you recovered the data.

Possible, but not as likely as a full system reinstall. It sounds more like he just reinstalled the application/game, so the data has (or at least had) a slightly better chance than if a Windows reinstall.

At least that's what I'm reading. [spineyes]

Frankly, though, it looks to me like CCsengeri gave up on an answer here, or else just gave up on the thing altogether... I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back