Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstallation and login trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremytaffy

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
US
I have a 5.2 system that I cannot log into. I input the user name and password, it begins to login, and then kicks me right back out to the login screen. I have never seen this problem before. I tried logging in under failsafe mode, and this doesnt work either.
It is, however, possible to telnet into the system. I tried to remove a couple of packages that I thought might be a problem and it returns this error:
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Pre-deinstall Verification...
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Verifying selections...rmitab: 0481-211 Cannot update /etc/<filename>; errno is 28.
done
Verifying requisites...done
Results...

FAILURES
--------
Filesets listed in this section failed pre-deinstall verification
and will not be removed.

Non-Deinstallable Filesets
--------------------------
The following filesets were selected for deinstallation. Deinstallability
checks indicate that they should not be removed from the system.

What the heck is this? How can I get rid of it? This package has no dependencies.

Thanks in advance..
J

Sounds like you have a full filesystem (either / or /home).
Suggest you telnet in and issue a df command and check.

Rarer, but there might not be any slots for new processes (I've had this happen a couple of times).

It's nasty to deal with though. Boot to maintenance mode, remove every non-OS item from inittab, boot normal, then bring stuff up slowly to see what's pigging on the process table.

Be sure that there not a call of a program which does not exist in your .profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back