Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstall 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashwarj

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2000
US
How can i uninstall linux mandrake 9.1 without losing my Windows XP. I have the bootloader , need to know how to get rid of that

Assuming that your using lilo and it's installed in the MBR of the primary master drive...

Boot to linux. Then as root, lilo -u /dev/hda. Then just reboot and repartition/reformat your linux partitions.

how do i get to root also, i am at boot

i can only get to boot, i can not egt into the gui

First, are you using lilo, grub or something else as your boot loader? Second, where did you install the boot loader? Third, do you mean that you've started linux and your signed in to the console?

I installed the boot into the MDR option. The os is on the second drive.

If you are using lilo (which Mandrake usually uses), boot to linux then type the command above in a console.

I cant get into linux, I need to put the install disk in, do F1 for options to get to the boot screen, my linux install is messed up. I either get a hang on New hardware when it loads or I get a can not sync. So how would i fix it now lol..sorry this is such a pain in the ass

Now I'm confused. Are you trying to get rid of linux or use it? Does XP boot correctly from the hard drive (without the boot disk)?

OK, i either want to fix linux or delete it.
Step 1) Machine boots
Step 2) A)If I select windows it runs great
B)If I select Linux is gives me (can not sync)
Step 3) I put Disk 1 in, when it gives the option to do install or advanced options I select F1 and it brings me to the boot:

I can not get into linux, I have select the linuxfb failsafe all the options.

So if it can be fixed I would love it, if not i need to remove it from the bootloader

If u wanto to remove the boot loader from mbr, then use
fdisk /mbr from dos prompt(either boot from u r XP partition or boot from floppy.)
It will remove the linux loader so u must have a boot floppy of linux to start linux...

Amit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back