Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstall/Reinstall Error for Windows Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmuus

MIS
Jan 11, 2008
US
This only happens on one of our clients machines. I noticed a problem where the windows service would hang and I couldnt restart or stop the service without killing the process first. the windows service won't disappear in the service list, even if the application is uninstalled and the service is manually uninstalled and the registry entries are deleted. I restart the computer and everything and it is still listed. so i reinstall our app, and manually try to uninstall the service again and the error i get is:

"warning: the source <example> is not registered on the local machine.
Service <example> is being removed from the system...
An exception occurred during the uninstallation of the System.ServiceProcess.ServiceInstaller installer.
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: the specified service does not exist as an installed service an exception occurred while uninstalling. This exception will be ignored and the uninstall will continue. however, the application might not be fully uninstalled after the uninstall is complete. "

I then reinstall and get the following error:

"An exception occurred during the install phase.
System.componentmodel.win32exception: the name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.

The rollback phase of the installation is beginning.
etc etc
The installation failed, and the rollback has been performed."

how do i get around this to get the service to work again and install correctly? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back