Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstall programs? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeT

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2001
US
I know you can uninstall rpm's easy, but how do you uninstall a program that came tarred and gzipped?

Hi,

In general, there are no uninstall scripts provided with 'tarballs' but its usually quite simple to remove stuff. If its a binary (compiled) package, mostly you just uncompress the gzipped tarball into a directory such as /usr/local . For example :

# mv whatever.tar.gz /usr/local
# cd /usr/local
# tar zxvf whatever.tar.gz

That would create /usr/local/whatever and probably lots of subdirectories underneath.

To remove the above you would just do :

# cd /usr/local
# rm -rf whatever

That might leave some config files, etc around but nothing major normally.

Be very careful with the '-rf' option to 'rm' - If you do it as root from too high up the directory tree you'll delete absolutely everything. The '-r' means to recursively remove from the starting point, i.e. including all subdirectories, and the '-f' means force, i.e. don't prompt for confirmation !!

If its a source tarball where you've done something like :

# mv whatever.tar.gz /usr/src
# cd /usr/src
# tar zxvf whatever.tar.gz
# cd whatever
# ./configure
# make
# make install

.... then to see exactly what the 'make install' bit did you can look in the Makefile in /usr/src/whatever . Obviously to remove the source part you just do a recursive 'rm' as shown above.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back