Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstall IE6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanmcc74

MIS
Mar 25, 2002
US
I am having trouble uninstalling IE6.0 from a Windows XP machine. For support reasons I need version 5.5 on the machine. The uninstall program is not listed in the Add/Remove programes... Does anyone know how to manually delete this?

Howdy:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't. IE^ is integrated into XP. This what Microsoft has to say about it..

This article describes how to uninstall Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6.0 and return to your previous version of Internet Explorer on computers that are running any of the following operating systems:
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me)
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows Advanced Server Limited Edition

NOTE: Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled by default in all versions of Windows XP. To provide computer manufacturers greater flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully functional to ensure the functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on it. For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.

Murray

Hi, thanks for you input.. I did read that on Microsofts site. The reason I am trying to go back to IE 5.5 is IE 6.0 is not working with an application I am running. It is a link validator that I am running on my site that uses SSL and I keep getting errors, "991 SSL error Cannot find I am not sure why. The site does have an invalid site certificate that pops up when I log in coming from the Web server, but support will not disable the certificate.

But the tricky thing is, I am able to run this link validator on Windows 2000 IE 5.5 without issues.

Thank Microsoft and there new security features for that one.. You could try going into Internet Options>Advances and removing the SSL options.

Murray

I was afraid of that and that was my gut instict.. I was hoping I was wrong and someone out in the IT industry would be able to help.. I did try the SSL options under advance settings without any luck... I was hoping that someone out in the IT world would know some way around this! Unfortunately it is Microsoft.. I am going to report this to the software vendor of the link validator. I am hoping since their product worked with IE5.5 they can give me some kind of fix for version 6.0. Thanks for your input! It is greatly appreciated!! :->

Shan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back