Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uninstall DNS Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bweitz

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2002
CA
Hello,

I made a migration from server NT4 to win2K.
There is some problem with my dns.
so I would like to do if it's possible only to reinstall the dns without any impact on AD.
I have only one DC in my domaine so What is the best way to do it. To run dcpromo to uninstall AD and reinstal it?
But what the impact to my users?
Thanks

That all seems a bit extreme - whats the problem with DNS?

Hello,

Since i migrate
in my dns , it didn't create anything (like _msdcs, _sites, _tcp, _udp)so no SRV records registered.
Of course now I have a lot of problems with AD or to join a new dc in my domain.
So how can I recreat a new and well dns in my DC.

thanks but it doesn't help.
I use a static adress and my dns enabled to allow dynamic updates.
I really don't know what's going on.

Okay, I would setup another computer with DNS before reinstalling (or do it at night when no one is there). But I would also check to see what mode your running your DNS server in... Primary or Active Directory? I would make sure its running in AD mode...

If your going to reinstall, then get another DNS server up, make the DNS change in your DHCP server, have all clients do a IPCONFIG /Release then IPCONFIG /Renew... then your can reinstall the DNS Service without affecting the users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back