Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uniform Dial Plan with DCS or VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelleg

IS-IT--Management
May 25, 2001
US
I am trying a low cost uniform dial plan for over 10 offices with all G3 variations. We looked into VOIP, too costly and too new. We also looked into TIE lines, which are out of the question. Currently we use AMIS and my peers are wondering if any way possible to dial an access code to a specific trunk group and have the PBX insert an area code+exchange+then the 4 digit extension. Could we also transfer calls to other offices this way? Basically they want to fool the user that if they dial 5 digits the PBX will route to one of our other offices by inserting the appropriate digits. I believe that the DCS does the signaling and is needed to transfer a call from one location to another. Is this true. So I will need DCS on in every PBX and UDP if we go the AVAYA route. Otherwise, VOIP is jittery with IP trunks and not a viable soulution right now. Does or has anyone implemented a UDP without using the DCS or RTU from Avaya???

Hello
May be I don't see all of your needs. But we have a network wich is consists of about 10 Definitys. No DCS - only UDP. We have easy ways to call to all of the offices by dialing udp-extensions. All needed digits and trunk access codes are inserted and deleted automaticaly by aar routing tables. DCS as I know is needed only in case of shared resources like attendant service, Audix and may be something more. Our network is working almost 10 years and still was no DCS required. Definitys connected by ISDN-PRI and Tie trunks.
Regards

Dimas, Thanks for the reply but you still are using PRI-Tie lines, which in my case are too costly. I also don't have UDP turned on in 1/2 of my switches. Any other ideas??

Could you explain,
what types of trunk group you are using now?
If you can not open soft of DCS and Private Networking in some of your offices there are possibilities to call from there by using ARS-routing, for example you call to the ext 222 of some remote location - you dial 9-77-222, and this location will have index 77, for calling to other office dial 9-78-111 and so....
And in several cases you can use coverage remote for the networking.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back