Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UniFi APs not issuing DHCP on new VLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shad0wguy

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2012
US
Hi all. I'll try to explain this as best I can.

We have a new building next door that is connected to the main building via fiber. We needed to be able to segregate this building so I assigned it its own VLAN. We use Sonicwall for our router/firewall and I set up a sub-interface for the new VLAN on 3 interfaces (LAN, WLAN, and VOIP) and tagged the appropriate ports on the switches to allow traffic from the new VLAN as the new building piggybacks off of our core switches. I got the LAN and VOIP working fine, and the WLAN works when plugged into the switch directly and even the UniFi APs were able to pull DHCP addresses. However, now when I try to join the WiFi at the new building it fails. When I tested it with my phone it hung at obtaining IP address. Setting a static address doesn't work either. I ran a packet capture on the sonicwall and it is receiving the request and issuing a response, so I don't think the issue is there. I'm almost 100% certain the issue lies in the UniFi APs. Does anyone have any experience with these on a VLAN? We use them at all our other sites but there is no VLANing besides in this building so that could be a reason.

Hi

Couple of things when the APs are plugged into the remote switch do they show up as connected in the Unifi controller

is VLAN 3 setup a separate SSID(wireless network) in the Unifi controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back