Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNICODE - problem to restore a database on new server.Urgent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLUZZI

Programmer
Jul 13, 2000
BR
Hi there.
The situation is like this:

-I Have a Database on Server1 and now I want to restore the backup into a new Server2. The problem is the Unicode. I already create a database on Server2 with same devices (sizes and names of course!) but the Sql server interrupt de restore because the Unicode configuration is different from Server1.I know that configuration is done on the installation of Sql server 7.0, but i need to know if there is no other way to solve this problem.

Any help will be "apriciated" .Sorry about my poor english :)

Hi Fluzzi

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago during a "Diaster Recovery". You cannot restore/attach a database to another server that is configured differently.

To solve this you must rebuild the master database on the destination server and set the sort order and options to the same as the source server.
1 start sql server in single user mode
type sqlservr -m at a Dos Prompt
2 Using the Rebuild Toolin the \\mssql\binn\ directory,
Rebuild the master database using the same sort order and
options as the source server.
3 Using sp_attach, attach the databases to the destination server

The important thing is that the sort order and options are the same on both servers. There is no other way to fix this unless you want to reinstall the server from scratch.

Good Luck Fluzzi, I hope this works !!!!!!
:)

Thank's very...very... much for your help Bernadette!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back