Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unicode message

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndersPG

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
SE
Hi,

I am trying to get a unicode message from a queue. I am using C++ and the C++ classes for MQSeries.

I have followed the samples from IBM, where they use char* as buffer to get the message from the queue. My problem is: unicode uses 2 bytes and the second byte is most of the time zero, which means null for the char*-buffer. When the read method reaches a null it stops reading and the size of the buffer is 1 char or so. I have tryied to use a wchar_t buffer, but then I got a compiler error.

So, the question is, does any one know how to read a unicode message from a queue?

Best regards, Anders

I havent done this myself. But i think the message in its completeness would be got into the buffer you asked it to. Its the app's responsibility to read it properly off that buffer. So, i guess, check the appropriate read method to read this message off the buffer.

You could as well make this simple(exclude MQ) and post it in C++ thread.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
KK

I am just inquisitive so asking this question. What value does the dataLength property of your message hold? If this is 1 then we have a problem.

How are you reading the message. I mean if you use MQFMT_STRING then there might be a problem. But if the dataLength property gives you correct length, then you could use the dataPointer and step through the message by incrementing this pointer. This could be read into a char* or void* buffer. Then depending on the platform you are working on, use appropriate APIs for converting this to Unicode. If it is on WinNT/2K you have got a host of choices for conversions also.

In case you already have a way of solving the original problem, please let that be known.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back