Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unicode - input / store / show 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomk3

Programmer
Dec 12, 2003
Northern germany
Hello to all,

I have an application with several hundred forms (not so easy to migrate to ?#) in VFP, data on MS-SQL.

Now for 2 fields (name, prename) I need to handle data with UNICODE chars.
These contain Latin, accents, diacritics,Greek and others at same time, so I think no chance for VFP codepages.

After searching and reading several hundred pages (including Rick Strahls excellent white paper) , I ask for help / hints for the following :

1. Input
Which control / active-X can replace the VFP Text box and is "unicodeaware" ?
It must be able to enable / disable / readonly (to be used as a "label") , too.

2. How to store data from that control in MS-SQL and retrieve it via sqlexec(cursor) or remoteview ?
(Nvarchar / memobin ?)

3. How to show these fields in reports / in a grid ?

Controls / tools need not to be free of charge.
I would be VERY happy to get working samples, I read so much on howto control->activex, but never got a working sample to be used in vfp ...

In another forum DBI controls were suggested, I watched Doug's presentation on VFEST2020.
Pricing is ok, but I did not get a reponse yet (forum / dbi support) whether Studio com64 (25 controls) contains unicode textinput and unicode grid for 32bit (vfp) and 64bit (vfpa). Its mentioned in the description but not on the list of controls. If not, studio com32 (88 controls) would be necessary.

Thanks a lot in advance.

regards
tom

Hi Tom,

I used to have a list of about half a dozen ActiveX alternative textbox controls. But I've just checked them, and only two of them seem to still be alive.

One is DBI, which I always used to recommend but haven't used for several years. I see that they now have a set of controls whose names begin with CTX, and are flagged as "Enhanced 32-bit Unicode controls". At first glance, I can't see a straight text editing control among them, but it might be worth delving a little deeper.

The other one is something called the Visual Basic 6.0 Unicode ToolboxW, at Don't necessarily be put off by the Visual Basic in the name. As far as I can make out, this is an ActiveX control (an OCX), so in theory it will work in VFP. Their website is a bit of a mess, and I can't see any information about prices or licensing, but presumably they have a demo version, so you can try it out before you commit yourself.

Sorry I can't suggest anything more definite. The market for ActiveX contols seems to be shrinking these days.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back