Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unicenter Explorer not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixthsense

Technical User
Jul 7, 2001
IN
using unicenter 3.1 with CORe on a windows server and DSM on another seprate windows server.

The 2-d map installed on the CORe PC shows all the objects and the agents on the network.

The problem is that i have a personal laptop where i have installed only Unicenter Explorer and MSSQL client conectivity tools. ITs unable to show the topology view.

If someone can explain the mechanism of Unicenter Explorer to access the core , it would be wonderful.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kapil Aggarwal
Network Administrator
MCSE,MCSA,CCNA

Unicenter Explorer uses a metadata system known as a "catalog" to locate and collect information sources. During installation of UE, you should have had to answer a prompt identifying your global catalog server; did you enter the appropriate server?

The typical installation houses the GC on the CORe server; UE must be installed there first, and then on each resource you would like to connect to with it - other CORes, DSMs, and/or EMs. In each case, you specify the first server as the global catalog server - so that they can register with the catalog. These resources also need the Provider component as well, in order to be able to respond to catalog requests; this is installed from the same installer as UE.

Then, when installing the UE on an admin machine, you follow the same process; this allows the admin machine to see everything connected to the Global Catalog

If all of these steps have been followed, and you're still not seeing anything, there's two possibilities: an incorrect version of Java is being used, and your local catalog is damaged. In the first case, contact CA support to fix it (it's a simple thing to do, but I don't remember the location of the file to change). For the second possibility, you can rebuild/republish/resynchronize your catalog to correct the problem; details are on SupportConnect, or I can provide them after the long weekend when I'm back in the office if you still need them.

The problem is solved now. My GC was the core server.
Actually i was using tndrepublish on the dsmserver so it was overwriting the Mastercat everytime.

Solution:

I published the info from the core server with tndrepublish and then from the dsmserver i only gave tndpublish , with which the UE started working perfectly showing me both the node view and the dsm view.

Thanks

Kapil Aggarwal
Network Administrator
MCSE,MCSA,CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back