Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unicam vs Epoxy on Singlemode Fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyRCDD

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2004
US
I have always specified unicam connectors over epoxy cure when field terminating single mode fiber to minimize polishing inconsistencies in the field. I'm hearing others deny any difference. Please provide your input? Thanks.

Does anyone still use epoxy cure? I used unicam connectors for station locations @ a major university and found they are not very robust compared to epoxy cure or anerobic. I would recommend anerobic st's as these are a stout connector. If you have a qaulified fiber termination tech there shouldnt be many polishing inconsistencies.

If I'm in doubt at all, I use 3M hotmelts. I just love them, they take a little more time, but the end result is very good. Also if you are near the edge for a link margin, the unicams are more lossy and may put you over the limit.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

I'll put in a second for hot melt, mostly because it's what kind of termination kit was here when I started working here. I had to learn it fast. I had only used LightCrimps before that. I've gotten fairly handy with the hot melt. As long as I'm paying attention, the results are pretty consistant.

I've seen the anarobic type (Systimax I think) and that looked pretty slick. Anyway, I guess I"ve probably gone over my $0.02 on this one.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back