Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexted error 80010108 when attempting to package project

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlevasseur

Programmer
May 19, 2000
US
I'm responsible for maintenance of a rather large Financial application using VB6, SQL 7 and Crystal reports. Everything worked fine until we upgraded to Crystal 8.5. I am using the Crystal control and after installing Crystal 8.5 began getting Unexpected error number 80010108 Automation error, object invoked has disconnected from it's clients. Since I am not a "super" technical person, this error meands nothing. I spent 3 days researching to no avail. The project runs fine in the VB IDE and I can create a new exe, but when I attempt to re-package the project come up with above error.

I did a total uninstall of Crystal 8.5 and re-installed Crystal 8.0, and still get the same error. If I remove the Crystal control and references from project, then project packaging runs fine. One problem is reporting is central to this application.

The error is not descriptive in the least and it wold be nice to know exactly what is causing this. Any help is greatly appreciated. RIght now I'm dead in the water

Ray

I had this SAME problem

The solution is as follows:

Go into your WINNT\SYSTEM32 folder

Edit Crystl32.dep

(the file IS there.. it's hidden however)

You should see the following in the file somewhere:

[CRPE32.DLL]
Dest=$(WinSysPath)
Uses1=CRPE32.dll
Uses2=

Comment out these lines (Put semi colons in front of them)

;[CRPE32.dll]
;Dest=$(WinSysPath)
;Uses1=CRPE32.dll
;Uses2=

Save this file and re-package. ;-)

Thanks for the tip. I was able to repackage.....but! the VB packager was looking for an essential missing file named "crystal" with no file extension. This weas not happening before the edit of Crystl32.dep. I skipped that file and rest of packaging "seemed" to proceed normally. When I attempted to re-install the application on a user machine got about 20 registration errors. This never happened in the past.

In summary, the installation has corrupted the user's registry. I was not aware that two other essential apps in her workstation use crystl32.ocx.

Did the fix for error 80010108, cause some other problem that I'm not aware of?

I do not know enough about the crystal RDC and VB to be able to migrate our rather large billing application at this time.

Any help much appreciated

Ray

Thanks for all the tips, I rewrote and repackaged our billing application to use the new viewer, removing the ocx control, and restoring crystl32.dep for 8.5. There were a number of dll's I had to include in the package, as well as totally re-coding the reporting front end I created. The project now repackaged without errors and am happy to report that upgrading user workstations with updated package resulted in NO nasty install or registration errors.

Now if I could get printer selection toolbox on viewer to work. As it stands now, printer only goes to default which is set in each report. In a way this is good, since some reports out users use can only go to specified printers

Thanks again for the tips

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back