Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexplained Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxAl

MIS
Nov 27, 2000
GB
Have 1 site where a number of unexplained events are hsppening:-

1). Users make payment (BACS) one day, this payment is recorded , yet some days later, it is deleted, both the person and payment. In looking at deleted records on table I can see it there as deleted. The system does not allow the users to delete either a person or payments.

2). Users make 8 instalments to a person of #100 each. On next entering person's profile it has assigned 19 instalments of 67 pounds, next viewing back to 8 of #100.
(The auditlogs record no change)

3). The application seems to allow editing of logically deleted records. The application does not allow this and I have confirmed that set deleted is on for entire application.

4). Payments are made to a number of students on March 01. However, when examine payments made on Mar 01 at a later date other payments show as paid and are recorded in tables.

5). Make a change to person's address, - it does this fine but also changes the person's payment profile.

6). There is an audit trail of all changes made to every field within the application, yet there are a number of changes which the users deny making which are recorded and equally a number of changes made which aren't recorded.

7) If someone were fraudulently changing the data external to the application, I could not prevent them doing so but on next logging into the system I have an algorithmn to compare recorded values against actual values which takes account of new or deleted records, or indeed changing to sensitve feilds such as money due or salary. Only I have this algorithmn.

If I were reading this post first time, I would tell the person they are nuts and their problems are software and data, but I have spent countless days and visits to site and am convinced it is not. I have taken copies of their data to my PC and cannot replicate any of the above behaviour.

Any other suggestions are most welcome. Could a virus do this?? If so, how would you prove it?

The application is Foxpro DOS 2.6 - it has run at this site for 4 years with no problems and has run at 20+ other sites for same time with no history of this. O/S is W95 - 3 users connected to server.

Thanks

I'd check for a user(s?) that have the knowledge to open and change the tables in Access or FoxPro (even VFP). They may not be doing on purpose, but that's of no consequence.

I'd also check for viruses / trojan horses that could be changing data.

Also, since this is a multi-user setup, I'd do some local testing where there could be conflicts with users accessing the same data, and see if the logic may be faulty in these areas.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back