Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexpected Tape Retention Time - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranyhere

Technical User
Nov 7, 2003
BR
Sorry, but in previous post I didn't explain correctly what´s going on, the case is:

I have a 5-day weekly differential backup, full backup on Friday, with GFS enabled in AS2000 v.7 w/ SP5.

In _DLY media pool:

Min # of Media in Save Set: 1

Retention Time (days): 3

But when a tape is used, after 3 days, it remain in Save Set and isn't moved to Scratch Set.

What can I do to resolve this problem?

This might be a limitation in GFS.
For example if you were only backing up four times a week so there would be three dailies and one weekly then I would expect it to work. I think a GFS job will only move a daily tape to the scratch set after the weeks jobs are done.

Just wait and see, if the tapes do go into the scratch set after the week then that is the way it work, and if that is the case then it might be better for you to not use GFS. Custom will let you set up the jobs however you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back