Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexpected Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taco

Programmer
Apr 1, 2001
US
I have a Win2K server SP3 that is used as a Web Server and an Imail mail server. I have been experiencing eventid 6008 - the previous system shutdown at <date> and <time> was unexpected. There is no memory.dmp file being produced and no other errors to go from. This is very sporadic - sometimes once a day and sometimes once a week. My hosting company assures me there is no hardware or power problems and I think I agree. I have a total of 5 servers all with similar hardware configurations and one of them had this problem as well which stopped in Mid March. The only changes done in March were several Microsoft security updates. All of these updates are also on the server which is still having this problem with one exception: Update 329251 which I can no longer find on the Microsoft site. It was originally posted 1-28-2003 and deals with IPNat.sys. I'm not sure if this is the cause of my reboot problem but I can't find out until I can install it. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Does it happen during the daytime, or after hours? I have several clients that have power issues that seem to occur only at night? Is your server on a UPS (if so, have you tested it, and what kind?)?

Other than power, things you might ponder:
Security, is your server behind a firewall?
Memory, have you inspected your memory usage?

Matt

I would also look into NAV. We discovered an issue with certain versions of NAV (7.6 and 8.0) that would shut down our Global Catalog Servers when terminaling into them. We contacted NAV for the fix.

JamesonJ

Thanks for the replies guys.

The reboots are very sporadic - sometimes during the day and sometimes at night after hours. The server is hosted in a &quot;state of the art&quot; facility and power and UPS are fine. I have ruled out hardware at this point as I have 2 other servers with the same problem. One of them no longer does this and all that has changed on that server is some MS updates.

I have also ruled out NAV as I had disabled it completely with no difference in the reboots as well as disabled Terminal Services.

I am leaning towards uninstalling some of the MS updates and reinstalling them in the same order of the other server which no longer has the reboot problem. MS has since emailed me the IPNat.sys update so I will also give that a shot.

Hi Taco

I have a similar problem that seemed to occur as soon as I installed and enabled terminal services.I'm in the middle of sorting this out so can't say for sure if this is it but you may want to check it out?

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back