Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexpected processor activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

iseeit

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2001
GB
I have a machine which on start up shows 53% unused processor capacity but during and after use of applications shows increased, often full, use of the processor even if all applications have been closed after use. Peviously with these applications running use went up to approx 65%and dropped back to 53% when they closed. On occasions the machine has locked up for lack of processing capacity. I have tried all the means I know to identify what is running to cause this dramatically increased processor demand. How can I find out what is causing this?
(this is a 128 RAM)

Go to START>RUN.type in MSCONFIG click ok click START TAB uncheck everything that is checked except SYSTEM TRAY, you can uncheck that if you want it's just the clock and speaker icon,, Then see how you'r system acts, if it is ok you can start putting things that you POSITIVELY need at start. If you are not sure what you need at start go here and read and/or print this out, it will tell all, "or most".. luck and have fun...jackha

I assume you aren't confusing unused RAM with processor use.
Internal modems can cause this sort of problem.
An active virus also. If possible, do a virus scan to eliminate that possibility. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back