Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexpected PC shutdown - possible causes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolluf

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
GB
Client's PC completely shuts down after random amount of time running (power just goes off). My first thought was overheating and when I saw the machine, it was running hot. I replaced the cpu fan, and temperature dropped to reasonable figure (c. 50C). Job done, I thought. Later feedback - apparently machine ran for 4 or 5 hours with no problems after I left (which is longer than it was doing) - but then shut down again. User monitored temperature - from then till next unexpected shutdown - never above 51C. I'm going back to look again tomorrow, and would appreciate any suggestions (my thoughts are currently that the cpu has been damaged by the earlier overheating, or a power supply issue). The machine is a socket 478 pentium 4 3Ghz with 512MB RAM - didn't check any other details.

Thanks

Anything in the event logs? Other than that I'd say your right on track. If they have a like PC nearby you could swap the CPU's to isolate that. But you already knew that hehe. When you power the machine back up does it report the unexpected shutdown?

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back