Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexpected Error with MSFLEXGRD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boggg1

Programmer
Oct 17, 2002
EU
I recently released the latest version of one of my programs after testing it on numerous PC's.

But upon release to some 80 users, 3 get an "Unexpected Error" messagebox followed by the program stopping at startup. I copied the program to a new project and systematically cut it back and cut it back until I get the minimum program which will run on my PC but not on theirs....

Private Sub Form_Load()

Dim frmDataForm As New DataGridForm
frmDataForm.Visible = True

End Sub

DataGrid form is a form with an MSFLEXGRD on it (and nothing else). I have removed all other components which are not required in this test.

I have checked the version of MSFLEXGRD.ocx on a number of PC's and though there are two different versions on the 80 PC's, there is no correlation with working/not working status. I have also copied an independant version of the component and un-registered and then re-registered the component on a "bad" PC without luck. I also know that "bad" PC's will run other Visual Basic programs without problems - although none have MSFLEXGRD. All PC's are Windows XP and I use VB6 only.

I did consider reinstalling Visual Basic run time files on a "bad" PC but this is more in desperation than logic.

Any ideas ?

[bigglasses]

Good thinking SBerthold, never thought it could be me that is out of date.

How would I know which version I have ? About does not give any SP numbers. I have a corporate system, I do not do my own upgrades and I have limited access.

[bigglasses]

I have SP6's version of MSFLXGRD.ocx. How do I tell whether I am fully SP6 ?

[bigglasses]

>About does not give any SP numbers

It should read:

"Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 (SP6)

No "SP6" in my version.

I'll request it is updated and report back in a few days. Thanks.

[bigglasses]

It turns out to be an icon file with a 32 bit icon inside "attached" to the MSFLXGRD. I redrew the icon at 16 bit (which is quite adequate) and the problem went away.

[bigglasses]

>No "SP6" in my version.

The startup splash screen has a banner on it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back