Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Understanding Login and User State Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mfho1

Programmer
Dec 21, 2009
US
Hi,

Here's my core problem. I'm coming from a ColdFusion background, where users run to the server for any type of authentication.

My goal is to understand how ColdFusion (with a SQL Server backend) and Flex work together to help a user login and helps that same user maintain it's state.

I understand so far that Flex can use a RemoteObject to go back and use ColdFusion services to authenticate a user.

My problem is understanding how does Flex maintain information about the user state?

Am I correct in thinking that once I return information from ColdFusion about the user, I create a global object in Flex that keeps the user's information that I can refer to as I transition between the View States in my Flex application? And I can just refer to that local user variable if I need to make sure I'm still dealing with the same user? Is it really that simple?

Also, I've had been trying to review COUNTLESS articles on the Login/Authentication process. One that I came across suggested placing a UUID on the server for a particular logged in user, and then I just return that back to Flex. Does anyone recommend that?

I'm teaching myself Flex, but if someone could provide a good outline of the Best Practices to Login, Authenticate, and Maintain Session State throughout a Flex Application (using a ColdFusion and SQL Server backend), I'd be highly appreciative.

Thanks!
MFHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back