Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Understanding licensing/versioning of Crystal Decisions Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0em0mma

Programmer
Jul 31, 2003
US
Crystal Decisions Crystal Enterprise Professional 8.5 Question:
I work for a small consulting firm that is supporting a contract with a government agency that is using Crystal Decisions v8.5 professional. We do not need to use a production version of this software (10 named users, 10 concurrent licenses). This is the smallest package, at around $10,000, that Crystal Decisions will sell directly. After doing a fair amount of research, I find myself increasingly confused about what we actually need.

What we are doing: Writing reports to interface with SQL Server 2000 for an existing installation of Crystal Enterprise professional v8.5. We are not serving any data to outside customers, only for development purposes. I take this to mean we only need one license for our internal development server. Also, we are using an ASP page to collect information and instantiate the SMTPXViewer to display the report.

Given this environment, there are several questions that I have:
1) Can we purchase a stand-alone version of Crystal Reports and develop with it, and then expect these reports to function correctly under Crystal Enterprise? Would the connection method be different or exactly the same, i.e. would we need to re-write code to make it work after developing on our server?

2) Is it possible to locate an ac actual copy of Crystal Enterprise professional v8.5 from anyone other than Crystal Decisions? I have yet to find the actual software for sale, only named or concurrent licenses. Speaking of which:

3) If we were able to find this version of the software without a license, can we purchase a single license and use this with the software, or does the software itself come with a minimum licensing agreement and/or is the license you use specific to the actual disk that you purchase?

I would really appreciate any help you folks can give me on this issue. There isn't exactly a mountain of information available on this/these subjects. Thanks in advance!

I have found an answer to this question. Thanks folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back