Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Understanding Layer 3 switching basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelehnert

Technical User
Oct 17, 2002
US
I recently took a job a a University, There is a large Cisco switch environment in place. I need some to understand, but dont want to ask my sup as I will lokk like an idiot.
We have 2 6509's with router blades in them and dozens of 3500's, 3550's and 2900's all over campus.
Does the 6509 router handle all the routing between Vlans or are the other series of switches I mentioned capable of routing.
I am an old cisco router guy but realatively new to layer 3 switches. I understand Vlan's etc. Just not sure what these swithches are capable of and wheter or not packet destined for another Vlan are sent all the way back to the 6509.
Any input is appreciated

Really it depends.... If the 6509 are equipped with router blades then I would assume they are doing SOME routing, but they may not be doing it all. The 3550 are capable of routing as well. Really if you want to seem eager at this new job then I would ask for some kind of network diagram from your supervisor because there really isn't anyway of telling EXACTLY what is happening unless you get in there and look at the configs or get a diagram. But like I said at the beginning the 6509 and 3550 are capable of routing.

Burke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back