Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Understanding Hashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerlNewUser

Technical User
Apr 17, 2008
US
After reading this very helpful forum for a few weeks, and now I finally have a question!

I am learning Perl and don’t fully understand hashes. I understand that they can be used in place of arrays to simultaneously compare and change data, but which part of the hash expression does what? For example:

Code:
%Hash(Value1, value2, value3)
$MyData = (exists $hash{$MyData}) ? $Hash{$MyData} : ‘Or Else Print This’;

I don’t follow how values are assigned. Also, can more than one data element be compared if I want the value of $MyData to depend on the existence of Two or More elements within the hash, i.e.

$DesiredValue=(exists $hash{$Mydata1} && exists $hash{MyData2})

Your sample code is just wrong. There is no hash in the code you posted. Maybe it was meant to be psuedo code but even then it would be a poor example.

Simple Example, using a name:

John Smith

Assume that is you. You know a lot of things about you because of your name: age, sex, date of birth, race, religion, etc etc etc

In hash form:

Code:
%John_Smith = (
   age  => 28,
   sex  => 'male',
   race => 'caucasion', 
)

Note that a hash must have an equal number of key and value pairs (keys on the left of '=>' and values on the right).

To know you age:

Code:
print $John_Smith{age};

To change your age:

Code:
$John_Smith{age} = 29;

To add another key/value pair to a hash is the same as changing one that already existed when the hash was first created:

Code:
$John_Smith{married} = 'yes';

Thats to give you the general idea of what a hash is, it is a list of keys that have a value associated with them.

------------------------------------------
- Kevin, perl coder unexceptional! [wiggle]

I based my example from this thread, where it was described as a hash:

Below is how it was used. I understand you explanation well enough, but still need to read deeper into these threads to understand it better.

Code:
“I'd suggest using a hash to store your state abbreviations”

[CODE]
open(MAP,"<$file")||die "Could not open $file";
    while (<MAP>) {
        chomp;
        ($code, $state, $desc)=spilt /\t/, $_;
        $states{$state}=$desc;
    }
close MAP;

And, in digging deeper, I found another one. In this one, I see there is a %periodic, which I did not see in the previous example I posted. Using the definition you gave me, I see that the %periodic defines the hash, and the $element and $weight are the values, correct?

Code:
Use a hash to provide a lookup for the atomic weights

my %periodic;

while (<DATA>) {
   chomp;
   my ($element, $weight) = split;
   $periodic{$element} = $weight;
}

source:

In that element, weight example, element is the key, and weight is the value.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those who say it cannot be done are usually interrupted by someone else doing it; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

I gave you a pretty good example of what a hash is. It is simply a list of key/value pairs. The hash name is used to know which hash table the script is getting data from or putting data into, in my example that would be %John_Smith. Trying to figure out what a hash is by looking at the code that was posted is going to be difficult because those posts are not tutorials that explain the basic concept of what a hash is. They assume the user already knows what a hash is.

Here is an online book you might find useful:

------------------------------------------
- Kevin, perl coder unexceptional! [wiggle]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back